I have read about it, thought about it, dreamed of it and and have craved it. Finally last night I made it. I read a billion blogs and found what I thought would make the perfect vegan yogurt. The only regret I have now is not trying it 6 months ago when I started dreaming about it. One of the hardest things for as a vegan to give up was yogurt. My all time favourite breakfast is a parfait and what is a parfait without yogurt? Oh and the store bought vegan yogurt... terrible ( in comparison to this). So don't waist the time like I did. Get out your ingredients and make this.
3 c hot original unsweatened soy milk
2 c cold coconut milk
1/4 c tapioca starch or flour
2 T agar flakes or 3/4 t agar powder
1/2 c plain unflavored soy yogurt at room temperature
1. Put the soy milk in a pot and heat until hot but not boiling.
2. Whisk 1/2 c of the cold coconut with the tapioca starch and agar flakes in another larger pot turn on medium heat.
3. Poor 1 1/2 c of the hot soy milk into the tapioca, milk, and agar mixture and stir until thick and glossy.
4. Then put in the remaining 1 1/2 c hot soy milk and 1 1/2 of the coconut milk. Turn off heat.
5. Using a candy thermometer wait until the mixture has cooled down to 116 degrees F.
6. Whisk in your store bought room temperature soy yogurt.
7. Place yogurt mixture in jars that have been washed in hot hot water and dried. place the lid on top with out tightening.
8. Preheat your oven to 100.
9. Place the yogurt in the oven, turn on the oven light, and turn off the oven. You don't want to cook the yogurt.
10. Come back 8 hrs later and place the yogurt in the fridge or enjoy warm.