A headless Penguin and a crashing Owl.




So here I was, taking a few pictures of Vange and her dog on a walk this Sabbath day afternoon. After a few min I stop dead in my tracks ( I was already stopped because it was icy and I did not want to move), and told everyone else to do the same. Then after reliseing that we had already been there for about 10 minutes the owl that was right behind Vanges head, probably would not move even if We did.



It blended into the Rocks So incredibly well!





So after a few too many pictures, the owl flew down into the water and dropped off the duck/penguin had been at his feet. This duck like penguin creature had no head. After its hard attempt to get out of the water we had a slight idea that the owl was sick, or that the river was not its natural habitat.





After it got back to safety on the rocks it jumped around a little. He looked at the dogs with its big yellow eyes, as they were trying to reach him, but it was obvious that they had not taken any lessons from the mountain goats that climb around our mountains.





It made itself to a higher peek, stretched its wings ( just so I could take a picture).



Then It took the dive and tried to fly to the other side. It reminded me allot like the Hudson River crash. It was obvious that He was not going to make it to the other side. But would he turn back? No, he was loosing altitude way too fast. So he decided to make a landing right in the river.




We were sure that he was a gonner, just like I am sure all the people in the controle tower thought about the Hudson Crash. But no, he flailed around or awhile and made it to a rock. He sat there, Happy to be out of the freezing waters of BC, but wishing he still had his headless duck. As Alonna, Vange, and I stood on the shore watching the whole thing, we all felt very sorry for the poor creature. But I must say, that was the most exciting photo shoot I have had!

4 comments:

livin4truth said...

WOW WOW WOW....Those are some AMAZING pics. So clear and...COLD lol. Really cool. thanks for sharing :D

joar andré said...

Nice pictures! I really like how the owl's yellow eyes just sticks out from the gray/brown in a couple of the pictures. Must be because my favorite color is yellow... What kind of lens did you take these pictures with?

jonathonlarson said...

no way, that is the coolest ever. i have never seen anything like that. i am glad you already had your camera out. absolutly amazing.

Ceri Christiansen said...

Hey Joar,
Thanks for the comment. I used a canon 70-200mm f/4.0. It was really close to me, but I still want an extender. So much fun, so little money...